In compliance with Titles VI & VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, and Colorado law, Big Sandy School District 100J does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion, ancestry or need for special education services.
Accordingly, no otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment, or member of the public may be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to unlawful discrimination under any district program or activity on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion, ancestry, or need for special education services.
Discrimination against employees and applicants for employment based on age, genetic information, and conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth is also prohibited in accordance with state and/or federal law.
Complaint procedures have been established for students, parents, employees and members of the public. The following person(s) have been identified as the compliance officer for the district:
Name/Title of Designated Compliance Officer for District:
Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title IX, Section 504 and ADA may be referred to Steve Wilson, Superintendent of Schools or designee.
Contact Information for Compliance Officer:
Address: 18091 County Road 125, PO Box 68, Simla, CO 80835
Telephone Number: 719-541-2292
Name/Title of Designated Title IX Coordinator
Sammi Swennes, Principal/Activities Director
Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator:
Address: 18091 County Road 125, PO BOX 68, Simla, CO 80835
Telephone Number: 719-541-2291
Complaints regarding violations of Title VI, (race, national origin), Title IX (sex, gender), Section 504/ADA (handicap or disability), may be filed directly with the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 North Speer Blvd., Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204.
Complaints regarding violations of Title VII (employment) and the ADEA (prohibiting age discrimination in employment) may be filed directly with the Federal Office of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 510, Denver, CO 80202, or the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1050, Denver, CO 80202.
Relevant Policies, Grievance Process & Forms
The following links list contains current Board Policies, Regulations and Exhibits (forms/examples), in place that are available on our website and demonstrate our commitment to Equal Opportunity Education:
Note: We provide our Information to Public content in the free to view/print/download format of Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
You can Download FREE adobe acrobat reader, here if your browser or device does not automatically provide framework for interaction with .pdf formatted documents.
- AC Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity
- AC-E-1 Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity – Exhibit
- AC-E-2 Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity (Complaint Form) – Exhibit
- AC-R-1 Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity
- AC-R-2 Sexual Harassment Investigation Procedures (Title IX)
- EF-E-2 Civil Rights Complaint Procedure for School Nutrition Program
- EGAEA Electronic Communication
- EHC Safeguarding Personal Identifying Information
- EJ Animals in District Facilities and Vehicles
- GBA Open Hiring/Equal Opportunity Employment
- GBAA Sexual Harassment
- GBEB-R Staff Conduct (and responsibilities) Regulation
- GBGB Staff Personal Security and Safety
- GBGG Staff Sick Leave
- GBK Staff Concerns/Complaints/Grievances
- GBK-R Staff Concerns/Complaints/Grievances – Regulation
- GDE/GDF Support Staff Recruiting/Hiring
- IHBEA English Language Learners
- JB Equal Educational Opportunities
- JBB Sexual Harassment
- JF Admission and Denial of Admission
- JF-E Admission and Denial of Admission
- JF-R Admission and Denial of Admission (Procedures for Students in Out-of-Home Placements) – Regulation
- JFBB Inter-District Choice/Open Enrollment
- JICDA Code of Conduct
- JICDD Violent and Aggressive Behavior
- JICDE Bullying Prevention and Education
- JICEC Student Distribution of Noncurricular Materials
- JII Student Concerns, Complaints and Grievances
- JII-R Student Concerns, Complaints and Grievances — Regulation
- JJA-2 Student Organizations – Open Forum
- JS Student Use of the Internet and Electronic Communications
- KF-R Community Use of School Facilities — Regulation
- LBD Relations with District Charter Schools
- U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights – Know Your Rights
- U.S. Department of Justice Office of Civil Rights – Educational Opportunities Section